Saturday, April 12, 2014

What Does it Take to be a Great Pilates Teacher?

In a word, PASSION.
I have been teaching Exercise, Yoga and Pilates for 24 years and teaching people how to teach Pilates for 18 years. And I must say that a good teacher can be trained and re-trained very easily and can become a household name in the industry after several years of honest work. And a good teacher can work hard at building a business and with a good personality (and a good economy) do extremely well. But what about a truly great teacher? How do they come to be?
A great teacher cannot be trained or re-trained. A great teacher is not all about personality and nothing else. A great teacher may not even be someone who is well known in the industry. A great teacher is simply born great. They are intuitive and introspective. They have a deep rooted understanding of the method. They eat, sleep and breathe the method. They teach from within. Their teaching is passion driven. Their teaching is not celebrity or profit driven!!
In my honest opinion, there are only a handful of truly great Pilates teachers out there today. There are plenty of good and very good teachers but only a small selection of greats!
We should all aspire to be the best that we can be and take a leaf out of the great teacher's books. But remember if you don't teach from your heart and you are not truly passionate about teaching Pilates then it will show and you will be doing yourself and your client, not to mention the method, a huge diservice. If you can't be great becasue you were not born that way, at least be the best that you can be. And remember that A GOOD TEACHER EXPLAINS; A GREAT TEACHER INSPIRES!!

 

5 comments:

  1. It is very difficult to be a good teacher.you have done good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girlfriend is huge into pilates and is trying to get me to do it with her. I'm all about weight lifting, and the idea of doing pilates does not sound fun at all. She really wants me to though, so I figured I would give it a try. This helped me know what to expect, and I hope that I enjoy it more than I think I will.

    http://www.lifecarefrankston.com.au/pilates

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you for the space of this blog of pilates

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very interesting post with useful information. I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics.keep posting!!

    Pilates Classes Reigate

    ReplyDelete